You have been trying to take some time to clean up within your email and your contacts for months. You have saved in your list a large number of addresses that you no longer use or that no longer exist and the time has come for them to disappear and stop occupying space within your account.
You start deleting them all, you finish your homework and you feel satisfied that you have eliminated all those contacts that were totally unnecessary. But a few days later, you have remembered that you have to contact a co-worker whom you have not seen for a long time, but you cannot find his address anywhere. And then you remember. You hit the delete button the other day because you thought you weren’t going to have to use your contact anymore. And now what can you do? Have you lost that contact forever or can it be re-incorporated in some way to your list? Don’t worry, we explain how to recover deleted contacts from Google.
First step: where are my contacts in Google
Google is a great tool that helps us save all our contacts (family, friends, coworkers …) practically automatically, so when we need an address that we think we don’t have, we usually find it there quite easily. But the fact that almost all addresses are stored also means that we have a space occupied by information that is not really relevant. That’s why sometimes we decide to clean our Google contacts agenda and the inevitable happens: one of the addresses that we need is deleted.
If this has happened to you during the last month, you have nothing to worry about. Google, apart from storing all your contacts without you having to do it manually, gives you a period of 30 days to recover those addresses that you deleted in error. If that time has elapsed, we are sorry, but you will have to look for that person using other more traditional methods.
First step: Google contacts screen
The first thing you need to do to restore that contact is to go to the Google contacts screen. But maybe you’ve never had to look for them and you don’t know how to get there. It is true that it is not in sight, but it is very easy to find it.
- If you are in Gmail, go to the upper left corner, precisely where it says ‘Gmail’ and right next to the name there is an orange arrow placed down.
- Press it and a menu will be displayed that includes ‘Contacts’ and ‘Tasks’.
- Click on ‘Contacts’ and we go to the second step.
Second step: how to open the Google contacts menu
When you have clicked on ‘Contacts’ you will see how Google indicates with an arrow that you go to the nine small boxes that are at the top right of the screen, next to the bell that indicates the notification alarm and the circle with the image (or letter, if you don’t have a photograph) that represents the account you are currently in.
- Click on the small boxes and a menu will be displayed where there are a large number of applications, such as Google Drive, Google Maps, YouTube or Google +.
- Among them, you can find contacts.
- Click and it will automatically open another window that corresponds to your contacts.
- Now, let’s go to step 3.
Third step: how to recover contacts from Gmail
When you have opened the window where all your Google contacts are located, you will discover that the menu is placed to the left of the screen, partially displayed. Precisely, the tab we need to recover our lost addresses is unfolded.
- To find it, you just have to go to the drop-down option that says ‘More’.
- Pressing it will open a new menu with four different labels: import, export, print ads and undo changes. Precisely, this last option is the one you must choose to recover your contacts.
- Click on it and you will see how a new window opens that gives you several alternatives to undo the changes you have made, from the last ten minutes to a week ago.
- You also have the option to choose ‘Custom’, which allows you to indicate the days, hours and minutes to reverse the changes you may have made, and allows you to dial up to 30 daysbefore the current date.
- You just have to choose the option you want depending on the day you deleted the contact and give ‘Confirm’.
- You will have all your lost contacts back.